Football Final Win

St. Joseph’s BNS vs. St. Pius X

Cumann Na mbunscol under 13 Final

 Sciath Na nGearaltach

5th of November 2013


Match Report by Josephs K. and Jack G. (Room 13)

See  more  photos here

On the 5th of November 2013 St. Joseph’s BNS Terenure played St. Pius X Templeogue in Croke Park.

The team were confident that they would be able to defeat St. Pius if they played to the best of their ability. The teams had played each other earlier in the year in a match that St. Joseph’s narrowly won.

On the day of the match the team was eager to get on to the pitch and full of energy. We all hoped that the numerous training sessions we had attended would pay off. It would not be easy to win this game. The St. Pius’s players were of great quality and skill.

The game started with St. Pius having immediate control of the ball. We were lucky that they did not convert all their chances but they did get an early goal that disheartened the St. Joseph’s players to an extent. However St. Josephs fought back and moved the ball into the forwards leading to five points. St. Joseph’s first goal was the result of excellent teamwork and use of the ball. As a result of the passing captain Matthew Mc Getrick scored an amazing goal that greatly boosted the whole team’s confidence. After the goal the match turned into a well balanced point scoring game. The St. Joseph’s players were especially good at winning the ball from the air. By halftime the match had evened out and it was a very close game. During half time our coaches Mr. Brennan and Mr. Ring told us that we could win if we kept working hard and winning the ball.

When the ball was thrown in for the second half St. Pius again took control but St. Josephs stayed in the game because of excellent defending and tackling. St. Pius scored several points and would have scored goals on numerous occasions would it had not been for the amazing goalkeeping by Alex Dunne. St. Josephs scored a few hard worked points one after the other. Tom Malone scored a decisive goal that gave St. Joseph’s breathing space on the scoreboard. St. Pius continued to launch attacks on the goal but were beaten back by excellent defending.  The last goal came from good movement and eventually Ciarán O’ Riordan scored a goal following a run that destroyed the entire Pius full backline. St. Pius won a few balls from the air near the end of the game but it enough. Finally the referee blew the whistle and we celebrated a well deserved victory.

After the game Matthew lifted the trophy and was met by a chorus of cheers from the St. Joseph’s supporters. It was the end of a great season. Overall it was a well deserved victory.